Workforce Cost Calculator
Use this calculator to figure out the cost of your turnover -- download and do in Excel.
Helpful Background Information:
- Rule of thumb: the cost of replacing any employee is 25% of the salary amount.
- The average turnover for home care agency staff is between 40-60%.
- The average turnover in nursing homes for certified nursing assistants is between 40-70%.
- The minimum direct cost of replacing a direct care worker is individual to each organization, but includes exit interviews, the use of temporary staff, training, etc., and, at a minimum, is $2,500.
- Indirect costs are individual to each organization, but include loss of productivity, lost clients, etc. The minimum amount is $2,000.
- Total direct and indirect costs equal about $4,500.
- Example: An organization that averages 40 terminations per year is spending at least $180,000 (40 x $4,500= $180,000).
For more information, please see "The Business Case for Investing in Staff Retention: Can you afford not to?