As the trusted voice for aging, LeadingAge is speaking out to ensure that decisionmakers and the public have accurate information on the novel coronavirus' impact on our field. Following are resources, statements and media release for journalists, as well as select media coverage. If you are a member of the media, please contact Lisa Sanders at email@example.com.
As the coronavirus surges nationwide and infection rates in nursing homes climb, LeadingAge calls on Congress to pass comprehensive relief for older adults who have suffered 80% of deaths from COVID-19. Following is a list of resources and news articles highlighting the continuing threat of the coronavirus to older adults.
LeadingAge Situation Report: The Coronavirus Threat to Older Adults
- Press Release: Almost 60% of Affordable Senior Housing Providers Surveyed Report COVID Cases—and Even More are Struggling to Pay for Pandemic Supplies
- "As case counts rise in communities around the country, nursing homes and providers in other congregate care settings are under siege. Despite the improvements in testing, older adults in nursing homes--and in all care settings--continue to be under threat from this pandemic." Katie Smith Sloan, president and CEO of LeadingAge. ABC News
- “We’re throwing every idea that we can conceivably think of to the state, but we really need bold action from the federal government. We can’t muddle through this on our own.” John Sauer, the president of LeadingAge Wisconsin. New York Times
LeadingAge is proactive when it comes to shaping views and understanding of our members and the field. Following are recent statements and releases we've developed and distributed around the coronavirus.
- In COVID's "Darkest Hour," Aging Services Leaders Sign Joint Thanksgiving Plea to Americans and their Leaders (11/23/20)
- Open Letter to the American People (11/23/20)
- Nursing Homes & Aging Services Providers Warn: Older Americans Under Increasing Threat from A Perfect Storm of COVID-19, Flu Season, and Federal Inaction (10/15/20)
- LeadingAge Statement on Administration’s Ending Covid Relief Negotiations (10/6/20)
- LeadingAge CEO Statement in Response to President Trump's Tweet ("Don't Be Afraid of COVID. Don't Let it Dominate Your Life." (10/5/20)
- LeadingAge Calls On Vice Presidential Debate Moderator Not to Ignore the Needs of Older Adults Amid Escalating Covid Deaths (10/5/20)
Even when news stories paint an unflattering picture of our field, LeadingAge can contribute perspective, information, and a reality check on the truth about how members are working to protect residents, clients, staff, and communities during this public health crisis. Following are recent stories in which our executives and staff have participated.
- McKnight’s Senior Living, 30 percent of COVID deaths in long-term care have occurred in assisted living: study (10/19/20)
- McKnight’s Senior Living, COVID-19 vaccine program sign-up begins today for senior living operators (10/19/20)
- McKnight’s Senior Living, Senior living providers struggle to assist residents with voting in 2020 elections (10/19/20)
- Associated Press, Feds planning now to get coronavirus shots to nursing homes (10/16/20)
- News-Press, President Donald Trump’s Fort Myers visit, from the lines outside to the set-up inside (10/16/20)
- Healthcare Finance, HHS partners with CVS and Walgreens to administer COVID-19 vaccine to long-term care facilities (10/16/20)
- McKnight’s Long Term Care News, COVID-19 relief talks resume as emergency funding for LTC providers begins to dry up (10/14/20)
- McKnight’s Long Term Care News, Unified industry voice faces COVID-19 challenges to support older adults (10/9/20)
- McKnight’s Long Term Care News, Nevada suspends use of point-of-care rapid testing devices at nursing homes (10/9/20)
- NextAvenue, The Huge Emotional Toll COVID-19 Is Taking on Nursing Home Residents (10/8/20)
- McKnight's Long Term Care News, Providers plea for support after Trump nixes COVID-19 relief talks (10/8/20)
- The New York Times, Nevada halts use of rapid coronavirus tests in nursing homes, citing inaccuracies. (10/7/20)
- McKnight’s Long Term Care News, CDC updates COVID airborne transmission guidance (10/6/30)
- McKnight’s Long Term Care News, Mandated COVID-19 testing for surveyors, ombudsman ‘under active consideration’: HHS official (10/6/20)
- McKnight’s Senior Living, Senior living should be priority for initial SARS-CoV-2 vaccine, committee recommends (10/6/20)
- McKnight’s Long-Term Care News, No BinaxNOW despite ‘red’ zone designation? Contact HHS, federal testing czar says (10/6/20)
- McKnight’s Long-Term Care News, Providers outraged after ‘insulting’ Trump tweet downplays COVID-19 dangers (10/6/20)
- McKnight’s Senior Living, No debate about it — long-term care deserves attention during pandemic (10/5/20)
- McKnight’s Senior Living, Pandemic turnover study aims to give providers better options for recruitment and retention (10/5/20)
- McKnight’s Senior Living, Scaled down HEROES Act relief bill maintains key provisions for senior living (10/1/20)
In the face of the coronavirus pandemic, LeadingAge is carrying forward the truth about the incredible work our members are doing to care for and serve older adults. Here’s how.
All of LeadingAge's media statements and materials are available by month and visit the main coronavirus resources page for more information, tools and resources to help all aging services providers plan for and respond to COVID-19. If you are a member of the media, please contact Lisa Sanders at firstname.lastname@example.org.