Content Header Image

Special HUD Rates Negotiated for Movie Licenses

by Published On: Apr 15, 2011Updated On: Feb 28, 2013

Any time a community shows a movie in its common area, a license is required based on the number of independent apartments in the community.

This includes videos rented, borrowed, or purchased by residents being shown to other residents in the common area.

LeadingAge and AHCA/NCAL have reached a licensing agreement with the Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC) to clarify when our members will need a license and pay a licensing fee to show movies to their residents.

In a nutshell:

  • Communities with independent living apartments that show videos in the common areas of the facility must obtain a license.
  • Assisted living and nursing home apartments or rooms are NOT counted for purposes of the license fee.

LeadingAge has negotiated discount rates for members and additional discounts for units under a HUD rental assistance subsidy contract, but the licensing company ultimately sets the base rate.  In February 2013, the base rate had increased from $300 to $310. 


comments powered by Disqus